Linux and GIS Systems Administrator
Boston, MA 02125
Do you have an interest in academia? Want to be a part of a close-knit community while expanding your technical skills? A university seeks a Linux and GIS Systems Administrator to join their team on a 6-month contract basis; however, this position has the potential to extend. Moreover, this is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is looking to join a vital organization and make an immediate impact by improving the team’ s processes.
- Install, configure, and administer Linux, Unix, and Windows servers that support the GIS environment including print servers, SAN, Samba, backup agent etc.
- Install configure and administer GIS server-based software
- Establish and manage backup system for all GIS environment services
- Manage user accounts, including file-storage, e-mail, print-tracking
- Setup and configure various peripheral devices where necessary
- Support GIS lab personnel
- Create and maintain automated processes to streamline repetitive tasks to gain efficiencies where possible
- Administer Shibboleth server(s) that support campus initiatives
- Mount the Virtual Computing Lab environment including training department support personnel
- Establish and maintain systems/network security scheme
- Trouble-shoot hardware and software problems
- Provide cross functional and general backup support for the Linux/ HPC Administrator for departmental redundancy
- Maintain detailed current documentation on all systems and processes supported
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science, GIS or related fields
- 3 to 5 years of experience in Windows and/or UNIX system and network administration
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of computer cartography, remote sensing, digital image processing, Geographic Information Systems database management systems, and Global Positioning Systems
- Strong customer service skills and commitment to a support role
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task, take initiative, work independently, and use creative problem-solving skills
- Enthusiastic, dynamic, organized, analytical and collaborative
- Ability to create and maintain a team spirit and harmonious working relationship
Job ID: 175034
Think you’ re a fit? Reach out to us today!
If you are already working with a WinterWyman recruiter, please contact them directly; otherwise, please send your resume and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org
With almost 35 recruiters and staffing professionals specializing in contract, temp-to-perm and permanent technology roles in the Boston and New England areas, WinterWyman takes a consultative approach when recruiting for Business Analysis, Project Management, Development, Database, Infrastructure, UI, QA, Tech Support and Instructional Design positions. We take the time to assess fit before presenting any candidate with a role, and we thoroughly prepare you with tools, company information and pointers to help ensure success during the interview and beyond. Let us help you find your next opportunity.