PERM Network Engineer
Boston, MA 02458
Our client is looking for a Network Engineer to join their team. This person will assist in continued maintenance and support of all routers, switches, firewalls, WiFi and VOIP equipment which constitute corporate network infrastructure. This role emphasizes cabling vendor/contractor management and expert technical skills supporting Cisco routing/switching architectures, Palo Alto firewalls and VPN services, Aerohive wireless APs and network access control via Cisco ISE.
- Provide first and second level escalation for network operational trouble/failure resolution daily, including participation in a weekly on-call rotation.
- Demonstrate advanced conceptual understanding in a variety of network topologies and conditions, including small office, corporate campus and data center infrastructures.
- Assess and update legacy network components and refresh device configurations regularly.
- Design, implement, monitor, and maintain local and wide area data and telecom components.
- Understand and support design changes and planned upgrades to data cabling infrastructure in a variety of campus environments.
- Install, configure, and support networking and security equipment from various vendors including Cisco, Palo Alto, Aerohive, Cradlepoint, and F5.
- Maintain relationships with suppliers of network hardware, software, cabling, and support services with primary emphasis on cabling contractors and broadband providers.
- Create and maintain technical documentation including operational procedures, deployment automation templates, runbooks, reference materials, disaster recovery plans, and training documentation.
- Participate in a weekly on-call rotation among peer network engineering staff.
Leadership and Communication:
- Represent the Network Operations team in project and operational meetings.
- Work independently on tasks with minimal guidance.
- Build, maintain and adhere to project plans including formulate timelines, schedules, material inventories, staff assignments and to meet deadlines as expected.
Management and Administration:
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; ability to prioritize and multi-task effectively.
- Act as first and second level technical escalation for internal customers and external vendors.
- Develop a solid understanding of client business units and technologies needed to support them.
- Work compatibly with peer network engineers and other IT operations staff members to understand business requirements and generate effective technical solutions.
- Competently utilize change/incident management systems, project management and network tools as required and subject to change.
- Experience with Cisco routers and switches – Active CCNP required.
- 5-7 years of experience supporting IPv4 LAN/WAN/WLAN environments including:
- structured data cabling terms, concepts, topologies, certified wiring types and implementations
- intermediate knowledge of Ethernet switching, spanning tree protocols, trunking & aggregation
- intermediate knowledge of EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, IPSEC and DMVPN, preferably Cisco-centric
- basic knowledge of LTE/4G WAN implementations, VOIP and video conferencing technologies
- exposure to Cisco Nexus switching concepts, platforms and implementations.
- proficiency with traffic inspection tools, packet sniffers, Wireshark decodes, trace/debug
- Expert proficiency with standard productivity and network support tools including:
- Microsoft Outlook, Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype and project planning tools
- Cisco Prime and ISE, Service-Now, Aerohive HiveManager, Cradlepoint Netcloud, AKiPS
- Plixer Scrutinizer, Extrahop Discovery and Explorer appliances.
- Demonstrate strong network diagnostic skills, instincts and command line proficiency
- Strong work ethic and desire to be a productive and reliable team member.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
Think you’ re a fit? Reach out to us today!
If you are already working with a WinterWyman recruiter, please contact them directly; otherwise, please send your resume and contact information to email@example.com.
Job ID: 173746
With almost 35 recruiters and staffing professionals specializing in contract, temp-to-perm and permanent technology roles in the Boston and New England areas, WinterWyman takes a consultative approach when recruiting for Business Analysis, Project Management, Development, Database, Infrastructure, UI, QA, Tech Support and Instructional Design positions. We take the time to assess fit before presenting any candidate with a role, and we thoroughly prepare you with tools, company information and pointers to help ensure success during the interview and beyond. Let us help you find your next opportunity.